Hexagon Purus is a global leader in zero emission mobility solutions for light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles.
We are a growing global team of over 600 employees, with R&D and production operations in Canada, the USA, Germany, Norway, and China. Hexagon Purus is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
Being in the heart of energy transformation, we lead with purpose, and our goal setting is aligned with our people and our shared mission to drive the transition to zero-emission mobility.
Join us on our innovative journey and work toward a clean energy future!
Reporting to the Software Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for developing and testing the Electric Vehicle’s control software while working with cross-functional teams.
- Develop controls algorithms for Electric Vehicles, and ensure that they meet or exceed safety standards, including Functional Safety / ISO26262.
- Lead the development cycle, including Software Design, Implementation, Simulation, Testing, and System Integration, ensuring that the software meets the project requirements.
- Design and develop robust diagnostics for EVs.
- Collaborate with system engineers to fully understand vehicle and sub-system requirements. Provide guidance and leadership to incorporate these requirements into software design.
- Design and implement software/hardware-in-the-Loop testing, Vehicle integration testing, and other types of testing as needed, ensuring that the software meets the functional and performance requirements of the project.
- Support validation team in the development of DVP and test methods for bench testing and integrated vehicle functionality testing, ensuring that the software meets the required standards for quality and performance.
- Develop design solutions to control problems by applying an in-depth understanding of electrical, mechanical, and thermal systems, and guide the team in their implementation.
- Support, manage, and release software for various projects, ensuring that the software is delivered on time, on budget, and to the required quality standards.
- Mentor junior software engineers, providing guidance and leadership in their professional development, and sharing your expertise in controls algorithms for Electric Vehicles.
- Continuously improve the development processes, tools, and techniques used by the team, and provide recommendations for improvements to management.
- Stay current with emerging trends and technologies in controls algorithms for Electric Vehicles and provide guidance and recommendations for the adoption of these technologies.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Qualifications, Experience, Education
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Controls and Computer Control Systems
- 7+ years of hands-on experience working on automotive and/or electromechanical systems, with at least 3 years of experience in developing controls algorithms for Electric Vehicles.
- Expertise in utilizing MATLAB Simulink & Stateflow (Model-Based design) for complex system modeling.
- Familiarity with designing and implementing thermal management systems for electric vehicles, including battery thermal management, HVAC, and thermal comfort controls.
- Deep understanding of automotive communication protocols such as CAN, LIN, and the J1939 standard.
- Experience CAN communication tools (Vector CANalyzer, Kvaser, etc.)
- Experience with functional safety standards (e.g., ISO 26262) and their application in the development of safety-critical systems
- Experience in developing software for embedded systems and familiarity with embedded hardware.
- Knowledge of power electronics and electric drivetrains for heavy electric vehicles
- Basic understanding of energy storage systems (HV battery) and its controls
- Thorough knowledge of automotive development processes and the V-cycle, with a track record of leading design and development teams through complete software development cycle (SDLC).
- Proficiency in MATLAB and Python scripting with advanced proficiency in one or more programming languages
- Experience with New Eagle/Raptor environment for development and testing is an asset.
- Significant experience in mentoring and leading a team of engineers.
- Proven leadership skills, ability to mentor and guide a team of engineers, lead and manage technical projects, and communicate technical information effectively to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in developing and implementing standard work procedures, design guidelines and best practices.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Ability to handle multiple complex projects and adjust to a rapidly changing work environment with fluctuating priorities.
- Valid passport with ability to travel to USA.
In accordance with the Pay Transparency Act of British Columbia, we anticipate this position will pay a salary range of:
$90,000 - $120,000 CAD
The compensation posted is a guide and may not represent the final amount offered to a candidate. Compensation will be based on candidate skills, qualifications, and overall experience level.
Compensation at Hexagon Purus includes base salary, comprehensive benefits package, variable annual bonus, and 6% RRSP match.
If you feel that you don't fit into the compensation range above, please talk to us! We would still love to hear from you.