The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for packaging components, designing interfaces, and preparing drawings of mechanical assemblies and components for commercial vehicle prototypes.
Hexagon Purus is a world leading provider of hydrogen type 4 high-pressure cylinders, battery packs and vehicle systems integration for fuel cell electric and battery electric vehicles. Hexagon Purus enables zero emission solutions for light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles, buses, ground storage, distribution, maritime, rail, aerospace, and backup power solutions.
Hexagon Purus Systems Canada Ltd. is currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Engineer to work out of our Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada office. If you are looking to work for an organization that values sustainability and is working towards Clean Air Everywhere, then we are the place for you.
Reporting to the Vehicle Systems Engineering Lead, the Mechanical Engineer is responsible for packaging components, designing interfaces, and preparing drawings of mechanical assemblies and components for commercial vehicle prototypes.
- Under the direction of the Vehicle Systems Engineering Lead, creates design concepts, determines nature and type of required detailed working drawings, and coordinates work with others
- Creates designs that packages components considering their mechanical, thermal, and electrical connections
- Uses drafting and mechanical drawings skills, and knowledge of computer-assisted drafting CAD equipment and software to create 3D design models and associated 2D drawings
- Completes product or project designs
- Verifies accuracy and completeness of drawings
- Compiles data, computes quantities, determines materials needed, and prepares cost estimates
- Produces detailed technical drawings for mechanical and electrical assemblies and components
- Establishes and maintains consistent, high quality, and accurate information required to be shown on design drawings
- for users and assembly manuals
- Presents project updates to colleagues
- Participates in development and assembly of prototype systems
- Works effectively with others in a collaborative team environment under fluctuating circumstances to resolve issues that require innovative and unique approaches
- Updates job knowledge by studying quality management trends, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, etc.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Qualifications, Experience, Education
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience in design engineering in commercial trucking or a similar field
- Completed a Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent
- Experience bringing products from concept to production
- Proficient skills with Pro Engineer, Creo, Catia, SolidWorks or an equivalent 3D modeling software
- Working understanding of commercial vehicle systems including steering and braking systems
- Strong understanding of and experience with DFM and DFS principles
- Familiarity with design using sheet metal, castings, injection molding, extrusions, weldments, etc.
- Detail oriented with superior analytical and problem solving skills
- Microsoft Office software skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Ability to handle multiple jobs and adapt to a rapidly changing work environment with fluctuating priorities
- Valid passport with ability to travel to USA immediately.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is moderately required to sit for long periods of time at a computer and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel or crouch; talk and hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time. This position may work in the plant and outdoors in the field, therefore subject to all weather conditions sometimes to include extreme cold and heat. The work described while working in the plant or field will require wearing all PPE depending on circumstance which may include safety glasses, hard hat, ear protection, leather gloves, safety vest and steel toed boots.
The above statements are intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Hexagon Purus Systems is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and ensures that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, age,