The Battery Module Design Engineer will play an important role in the design and development of battery modules for use in medium and heavy-duty electric vehicles. The ideal candidate possesses a multi-disciplinary working knowledge, with a background in mechanical, electrical, and thermal design.
Hexagon Purus is a world leading provider of hydrogen type 4 high-pressure cylinders, battery packs and vehicle systems integration for fuel cell electric and battery electric vehicles. Hexagon Purus enables zero emission solutions for light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles, buses, ground storage, distribution, maritime, rail, aerospace, and backup power solutions.
Hexagon Purus Systems Canada Ltd. is currently seeking a Battery Module Design Engineer. If you are looking to work for an organization that values sustainability and is working towards Clean Air Everywhere, then we are the place for you.
Reporting to the Lead Battery Engineer, the Battery Module Design Engineer will play an important role in the design and development of battery modules for use in medium and heavy-duty electric vehicles. The ideal candidate possesses a multi-disciplinary working knowledge, with a background in mechanical, electrical, and thermal design.
• Creates thermal, electrical and mechanical part and assembly designs for battery module designs using parametric 3D CAD tools
• Generates complete mechanical manufacturing packages for suppliers, including 3D CAD models, 2D drawings, top-level BOMs, part and system-level specifications
• Ensure drafting, tolerance analysis, and GD&T are completed for components.
• Participate and be responsible for battery component and system DFMEAs
• Fabricate functional prototypes for engineering testing and validation
• Develop test methods based upon design characteristics, customer requirements, and/or existing standards
• Organizes and sometimes leads project update presentations and design reviews
• Researches and proposes innovative technology enablers (e.g. materials and components) and recognizes and targets potential areas for patent protection.
• Identifies process/product efficiencies and process improvements that will reduce overall costs and participates in cost reduction exercises as part of a team.
• Collaborates with suppliers on costs for new designs and design changes to evaluate product feasibility.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Qualifications, Experience, Education
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, or a related design engineering field
• 4+ years experience designing battery modules or packs
• Proficient in 3D CAD software such as Creo Parametric, Solidworks, CATIA, etc.
• Proficiency with Creo Parametric is preferred
• Familiarity with lithium-ion cell chemistries and form factors
• Familiarity of battery system architectures, and system controls
• Experience packaging battery cells, or modules
• Experience designing thermal management systems
• Experience designing battery electrical interconnect systems
• Experience using computational tools to analyze and optimize components (FEA, CFD, etc.)
• Proven experience in design-for-manufacturing (DFM), design-for-assembly (DFA) and design-for-disassembly (DFD)
• Experience with designing for injection molding, thermoforming, sheet metal stamping and forming, die casting, extrusion, and coating technologies.
• Experience with designing for welding ferrous and non-ferrous metals, brazing, laser welding, ultrasonic welding and adhesive joining technologies
• Strong problem-solving skills and a desire to create solutions.
• Demonstrated and effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to professionally interact with internal and external customers stakeholders
• Must have the ability to work in sensitive and confidential situations.
• Must have above average MS Office skills
• Valid passport with ability to travel to USA
Physical Demand & Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for long periods of time at a computer and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is moderately required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel or crouch; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time. This position may work in the plant and outdoors in the field, therefore subject to all weather conditions sometimes to include extreme cold and heat. The work described while working in the plant or field will require wearing all PPE depending on circumstance which may include safety glasses, hard hat, ear protection, leather gloves, safety vest and steel toed boots.
The above statements are intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Hexagon Purus Systems is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and ensures that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, age, criminal conviction and political belief.
Hexagon Purus ASA
Terms and Conditions